Here are some of the online marketing tips that I’ve learned during five years of blogging, that I’ve found really do work!
Online marketing tips
1. When web traffic is important, create new content regularly and share it far and wide. Creating new content does take time, energy and creativity, but if you’re writing about something you’re passionate about, it doesn’t need to be hard.
2. Create different types of content, for example articles, reports, videos and photos.
3. Keep a list of potential article topics and add new ideas as they come to you.
4. Determine your website objectives and aim to get value from your web traffic by encouraging your visitors to take the action you want them to take.
5. Care about keywords but write first and foremost for your readers.
6. Consider how your headline will work as a tweet when someone clicks your Twitter share button.
7. If you have an opportunity to be somewhere that others would love to be, share content about it on your blog as quickly as you can, ideally the same day.
8. Build relationships with people who have a similar target audience to you, encourage them to share your content and say “thank you” when they do.
9. Twitter moves fast, especially for people who are following a lot of other people. Tweet your content more than once. Try adding a few friendly words at the start and then review which tweet was retweeted the most.
10. People like to see pictures, especially on Facebook, so sign up for Instagram which makes it easy to share photos on Facebook and Twitter.
11. If someone offers you an opportunity, follow it through to see where it leads. It may not seem like a good fit at first but once you have a conversation with a potential business partner, other mutually beneficially opportunities may arise.
12. Write with emotion. That’s what makes you you and your blog unique.
13. Anticipate the information that your readers will need and make it available before they know they need it.
14. Write for other websites that have similar target audience to yours. This builds your credibility. For Search Engine Optimisation, include a link to your website in your author bio at the end of the article.
15. Keep an eye on your Google Analytics to find out which articles were most popular in terms of pageviews and time on page. Figure out why those articles were popular and create more like them.
16. Involve your community in creating a piece of content. If they have been mentioned in the article, they are more likely to share it with their own network.
17. Review your past content to see if any of it can be updated and re-purposed.
18. If you are struggling to write, make a change of scene, for example leave the office and try writing in a quiet cafe.
19. When an article starts getting quite long, turn it in to two articles.
Another important tip when you’re regularly adding content is to make sure that your website is backed up regularly.
Your website should be ever evolving. Keep the bits that work and always be learning.
The tips in this list might not be new for you but hopefully the they can act as reinforcement of what you’re already doing, or a refresher for some marketing tips that will bring results.
Do you have any other online marketing tips that I can add to the list?
Until next time
Melinda aka Mel is a Google Partner, Google Ads & Consultant, Speaker and Trainer and co-owner of Click-Winning Content. Mel provides results-driven services to organisations around the world and is committed to never using an acronym without explaining it first. She also likes greyhounds as pets, grand slam tennis, cracked pepper and Melbourne sunsets. Please connect at the links below.