I recently attended a fantastic Problogger Training Day in Melbourne arranged by Darren Rowse from Problogger. Darren presented along with Chris Garrett from Chrisg.com, Yaro Starak from Entrepreneurs Journey and Collis from Envato.
The day was choc full of incredibly valuable information and tips. Today I want to share the information I got from the Probloggers about the factors that are critical for online content success.
- Strive to be remarkable
- Provide information that is more useful than that on other websites
- Provide more in depth information than other websites do
- Ensure that your information is attractively presented
- Always use magnetic headlines
- Explain things in a way that is easy to grasp (and avoid jargon)
- Use relevant, keyword-rich URLs (the shorter the better)
- Never forgot to write from the perspective of your reader, and “What’s In It for Them” – this includes your headline, intro statement and throughout the article
- Present your ideas with minimum hype.
Writing style and copy optimisation aside, I think that being remarkable is the the most critical factor. Never write an article just because you feel you should, or because it’s part of your marketing strategy.
Write your online content because you’ve got something valuable to share.
The calibre of people who presented at the Problogger Training Day, combined with the fact that the whole day of training only cost $99, was impressive and inspiring.
You’re welcome to read another article about what I learned on my blog: The Importance of Being Honest (lessons from the Probloggers).
If you need help with web copywriting or inspiration for your online content, please contact me.
Melinda aka Mel is a Premier Google Partner, AdWords & Analytics Consultant, Speaker and Trainer and co-owner of Click-Winning Content. Mel provides results-driven services to Australian businesses and is committed to never using an acronym without explaining it first. She also likes grand slam tennis, cracked pepper and Melbourne sunsets. Please connect at the links below.