Here are some tips that I put together last week as I worked on optimising AdWords campaigns for clients. These are real times tips that we implement every day for clients to increase their online sales, enquiries and AdWords ROI.
1. Have a great website. Invest budget into getting a fabulous, effective website before you invest budget into an AdWords campaign. The website investment will pay off in the longer term.
2. If you have an eCommerce website, have an AdWords Shopping Campaign set up as well as, or instead of, a Search campaign. People who search Shopping results have more intent to buy.
3. If you have an eCommerce website, get your Christmas campaigns up and running in September / October. Don’t leave it until December because it can take time to get your campaign optimised for the best performing keywords.
4. Track all conversions possible. This includes online enquiries, sales, calls from ads and calls made when people click through to your website. The more complete your conversion data, the better job your AdWords manager can do in optimising your campaigns.
5. Change your ad copy regularly. Always be testing a new version that might prove to be better than your best one!
6. Use Bid Adjustments. You can adjust bids either up or down based on the day, time of day or location of visitors. Monitor your conversion data in light of these factors and set bid adjustments to get you more conversions based on the time, day or location of the person clicking on your ad.
7. Have a Remarketing campaign running, especially if you have an eCommerce website. It’s way more cost effective than you might think and there is so much value in reminding people about your business and encouraging them to come back and buy.
8. Search for your brand name on a mobile device. If ads appear for other businesses or you need to scroll down to see your website, run mobile optimised ads for your brand name.
9. Focus on conversions. Ads bring people to your website and then it’s your website’s job to get the conversion. If you’re not happy with the number of conversions that you’re getting work with a conversion optimisation specialist to audit your website and make updates.
10. When you work with an AdWords agency, make sure they’re a Google Partner, which means they’re experienced and serious about providing best practice AdWords services.
11. Ensure that your AdWords and Analytics accounts are linked. This doesn’t happen automatically but you need it done to get full information about your AdWords visitors behave once arriving on your website.
12. Use as many Ad Extensions as you can; Call, Location, Sitelinks, Callouts and other extensions – add whatever is relevant because extensions improve the quality of your campaign and the size of your ad.
13. Have the copy on your AdWords landing page written by a professional web copywriter. Don’t leave it to chance that the copy may or may not be good enough to get your web visitors to act!
14. When running a Remarketing or Display Network campaign, view the Site Category Options and set Campaign Exclusions for sites where you don’t want your ads to be seen such as those shown below.
15. To get a Remarketing campaign up and running quickly, try the AdWords Image Ad Builder. The quality of ads isn’t as good as a designer would create but it’s a fast, free way to get ads created that fit all available ad sizes.
Until next time
Melinda aka Mel is a Premier Google Partner, AdWords & Analytics Consultant, Speaker and Trainer and co-owner of Click-Winning Content. Mel provides results-driven services to Australian businesses and is committed to never using an acronym without explaining it first. She also likes grand slam tennis, cracked pepper and Melbourne sunsets. Please connect at the links below.