In terms of AdWords management there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
But in terms of QUALITY AdWords management there are things your AdWords manager should do to ensure that you get maximum value from both your advertising spend, and your management fee.
Before you agree to work with an AdWords Manager, ensure that they meet the criteria below.
1. Is a Google Partner
To be a Google Partner an individual needs to meet best practices and regularly pass exams to maintain their knowledge of setting up and managing AdWords campaigns.
In Google’s words:
If someone is serious about providing Google AdWords services and committed to providing quality service to clients, why wouldn’t they become a Google Partner?
Search for Partners, or check a business’ qualifications at https://www.google.com/partners/
In mid 2016 Google introduced a new level of Partner status, called “Premier Partner” which reflects the agency’s commitment to clients and their business.
2. Understands your business
To run an effective AdWords campaign that meets your business objectives, an agency needs to take time to understand your business. Things like:
- What do you want to achieve with your ad campaign? (they should let you know if your expectations are realistic)
- Who are your target audience, and when are they most likely to be online?
- Where are your target audience located?
- Are there keywords that are important to target?
- What budget do you have available for AdWords?
Most people are familiar with AdWords search campaigns, which get your ads appearing in the Google search results. Via AdWords you can also advertise on YouTube, the Google Display network, in the shopping results and also Remarket to people who already visited your website.
3. Discusses how will you measure results from your campaigns
Planning how you will measure the results from your campaigns is a critical part of measuring the return that you’re getting from your investment.
In terms of measuring results:
- Have Google Analytics set up, which allows you to obtain information about how the AdWords traffic performs after arriving at your website.
- If possible, set up Google Analytics Goals to track the actions that you’d like your website visitors to take.
- Set up Conversion Tracking for your website, and phone calls. (Watch a short video to find out how Website Call Tracking works
- Discuss other ways that you can link business outcomes back to your AdWords campaign.
Read more in Are your AdWords campaigns working hard enough?
4. Is proactive in recommending updates
It can take time and ongoing optimisation for an AdWords campaign to achieve the return you’re looking for. But in the mean time, there are tweaks and changes that can be made to your ad copy, keywords and website to improve your results.
A good AdWords manager will constantly review the results that you’re achieving and regularly make changes and suggestions with the aim of improving your return. This is particularly important for a new campaign.
5. Keeps up with new AdWords features
Google regularly rolls out new AdWords features.
Your AdWords manager should keep up with these new features and implement them in your account where they will be beneficial.
6. Provides clients with monthly AdWords performance data
At Click-Winning Content, we consider sending a monthly report to clients essential in terms of keeping them informed about their account performance and advertising spend. It is also a Google compliance requirement that anyone providing AdWords services gives their clients access to monthly data on AdWords costs, clicks and impressions.
Read The Google Third Party Policy.
7. Monitors your campaigns regularly
AdWords is not a set and forget platform!
Good AdWords management includes regularly tweaking Max CPC bids, updating ad copy, adding negative keywords, monitoring conversion costs and budget and making other changes with the aim of improving your return.
Ask your prospective AdWords manager how often they will look at your campaign.
Are you looking to outsource management of your Google AdWords campaigns?
If you’re an Australian business owner, here are some reasons to choose Click-Winning Content as your AdWords Partner agency. Our services are flexible and we won’t lock you in to a long term contract.
We’ve been a Google Partner since 2009
- This means that Google trust us, so can you. Having been a partner for nearly eight years, AdWords is our core service and we’re committed to helping clients succeed.
In 2016 we were proud to achieve Premier Partner status.
We offer services to suit your needs
- Whether you want to outsource set up and management of your AdWords campaigns, learn an expert approach to DIY management or work with a consultant to optimise your existing campaigns, we’ll tailor our services to suit you. And if we can’t help we can recommend the right agency that will be able to.
No web speak required
- We speak AdWords fluently so when required we’ll translate the info you need to understand into simple, jargon free English.
Insightful, proactive results driven management
- We log in to AdWords every day and keep a close eye on clients campaigns. In fact, we manage your advertising budget like it was our own money.
- We’re committed to returning phone calls and replying to emails. Promptly. Which means if you need your campaigns paused, your budget changed or other updates made urgently, they’ll be actioned urgently. No stress. No fuss.
- We also keep in contact with you regularly to discuss the results that you’re getting from your ad spend and to discuss suggestions for improvements.
Over 10 years AdWords experience
- Mel has been around the AdWords traps for eons, since 2006. Back then she was working for a global software company and took on the responsibility of managing AdWords campaigns for Asia Pacific and Europe.
- In 2009 Mel saw the opportunity to provide Australian small businesses with affordable AdWords services and great customer service. And so Click-Winning Content was born.
- We’ve been growing ever since, managing campaigns for clients ranging from sole traders to large corporations.
- We dedicate time every day to keeping up with new AdWords features and understanding how to use them to benefit clients. This includes working with our Google Account Managers to ensure that clients’ campaigns are fully utilising all available features.
Combining marketing and science to get the best return
- Mel is a marketer by experience and a scientist by Melbourne University qualification. One of the reasons she loves AdWords is that it is the perfect fit for these combined skills. AdWords needs a creative marketing approach to writing ad copy, tweaking landing pages and thinking outside the box to outsmart your competitors. But it’s also a science. Reviewing the key stats, understanding what they mean in terms of your campaign performance, what can be changed to improve it and the return that you’re getting for your business.
Ready to discuss the options?
Give Mel a call on 03 9340 9018
Whether you want to outsource the management of your AdWords campaigns, or learn DIY optimization, we’d love to work with you to help you make the most of the opportunities that AdWords offers.
Melinda aka Mel is a Premier Google Partner, AdWords & Analytics Consultant, Speaker and Trainer and co-owner of Click-Winning Content. Mel provides results-driven services to Australian businesses and is committed to never using an acronym without explaining it first. She also likes grand slam tennis, cracked pepper and Melbourne sunsets. Please connect at the links below.