Find out what Google AdWords Remarketing is, what you need to do to set up a Remarketing campaign, who it’s best suited for and the benefits of running a successful campaign.
My guess is that the ad on the left in the screen shot above is a Remarketing ad. Although I don’t know for sure, I’ve seen ads for that particular website regularly on a variety of other websites since I visited it a few days ago. In fact, it almost feels like those ads are following me around the internet.
What is Google AdWords Remarketing?
Google AdWords Remarketing is a way to show targeted ads to people who have visited your website, when they visit websites that are part of the Google Display Network*
Maybe you’ve noticed that ads for some products or services seem to follow you everywhere you go around the world wide web.
Your first reaction might be to assume that everyone is seeing the same ads that you are and that the advertiser has a huge budget.
In reality, the ads are likely to be part of Google’s Remarketing program and they are only being shown to you and to others who have visited the website promoted in the ads.
*Websites become part of the Google Display Network by hosting ads as part of the Google AdSense program.
What are the benefits of Remarketing?
- You’re reaching a target audience of people who have already indicated that your products or services are relevant to them
- Reach web visitors who didn’t convert
- Up sell or cross sell to existing customers for example, show adds to other relevant products
- Keep your brand in front of your target audience.
Who should consider running a Remarketing campaign?
Anyone can consider Remarketing but in my opinion it’s best suited to your business if:
- A lot of people visit the page of your website that’s most relevant to the product or service you want to promote. Google recommends a list of at least 100 people before you start your Remarketing campaign, but ideally the bigger the better.
- You have Conversion Tracking set up so that you can exclude people who have already converted as well as find out if visitors from the Remarketing campaign convert.
- You have a targeted offer to attract people to click on your Remarketing ads that is different that the offer in your Google AdWords search campaign. For example, if your Search campaign ad text promotes “Free Delivery” in order to encourage people to click, add something to the remarketing ad offer. For example, “Use Promo Code XXX to receive 10% off”. Give it a deadline in order to encourage a quicker response.
- You have a deadline for example promoting an online course that has an early bird offer, and closing date for registrations.
What are the steps involved in setting up a Remarketing campaign?
1. Have a Google AdWords account
3. Create a Remarketing Tag and add it to all pages of your website or create a Remarketing list in Google Analytics.
4. Create Remarketing Lists based on the pages of your website that people have visited or the people that you want to see your ads.
For example you can create a list of people who visit the page of your website where you sell a specific product. The page is identified by keywords that appear in it’s URL. You can create Combination Lists of people who viewed a Combination of pages or perhaps viewed one page but didn’t view another specific page.
5. Set the duration for how long you want the Remarketing cookie to last ie how long people will stay on the list.
6. Exclude people who have already Converted from the Remarketing list. Ideally if people have already bought or enquired about your product or service you don’t want them continually seeing your ads. Remarketing offers a way that conversions can be excluded from the list.
7. Set up a Remarketing Campaign
8. Add the copy for your text ads.
9. Add image ads which you can either work with a designer to create in the appropriate sizes, or you can build yourself with the Display Ad Builder, which is a very cool tool provided by Google.
10. Monitor the Campaign and review the websites where your ad performs the best.
Got questions or need help getting a Remarketing campaign set up?
Feel free to give me a call on 03 9340 9018 and together we can work out a plan.
Until next time
Melinda aka Mel is a Premier Google Partner, AdWords & Analytics Consultant, Speaker and Trainer and co-owner of Click-Winning Content. Mel provides results-driven services to Australian businesses and is committed to never using an acronym without explaining it first. She also likes grand slam tennis, cracked pepper and Melbourne sunsets. Please connect at the links below.