List of Web Directories that Offer Free Listings for Australian Businesses.
Inbound links are important for improving your search engine ranking, especially links from authoritative, high quality websites.
Aim to have a mix of different types of inbound links. Ways that you can build links include:
- Creating high value content as “link bait” to encourage website owners to link back to your website
- Distributing an online press release that includes links to your website
- Writing articles and sharing them via websites such as Ezine Articles.
Adding your business to online web directories helps your target audience find your business online and is also a way to build inbound links from other websites back to your website.
I have reviewed a list of web directories where Australian businesses can be listed. The highlighted web directories provide a listing for free, and importantly, the free web directory listing allows you to include a link to your website, rather than just your contact details.
Free Web Directories that let you include a link to your website
|Web Directory Name||Web Directory Address||Notes|
|Google My Business||Google.com/Business||This shows a map of where your business is located in Google search results. Search for “Click Winning Content Fitzroy” to see the style of listing.|
|Hotfrog||www.hotfrog.com.au||To improve your search engine results, add product listings using your keywords in the name of the products.|
|Yahoo Directory||http://dir.yahoo.com/||Free listing available but no guarantee of how long it will take to be approved.|
|True Local||www.truelocal.com.au||Free listing with a link to your website.|
|Aussie Web||www.aussieweb.com.au||Free listing with a link to your website.|
|Yelp||www.yelp.com.au||Yelp has a great system of user reviews. I’ve used it a lot in the US, it’s one of my favourites.|
|Brownbook||www.brownbook.net||Free listing with a link to your website.|
|Yalwa||www.yalwa.com.au||Free listing with a link to your website.|
|Start Local||www.startlocal.com.au||Free listing with a link to your website. Must have a physical address.|
|Yellow Book||www.yellowbook.com.au||Free listing for one state with a link to your website.|
You’re welcome to include a link to this page on your “links” or “resources” page.
Here are my notes on some of the other online web directories that I checked out.
- www.nationwide.com.au Only paid options are available
- www.slinkydirectory.com.au Only paid options are available
- www.aussienow.com.au Only paid options are available
- www.ausdict.org Free listing but must provide a reciprocal link back using their code. The process was tedious and I gave up.
- www.localblue.com.au Free listing does not include URL link
- www.dlook.com.au Free listing does not include URL link
- www.linkwizz.com.au Free listing does not include URL link
- www.localbusinessguide.com.au Free listing does not include URL link
- www.businesssearch.com.au Free listing does not include URL link
- www.yellowpages.com.au Free listing does not include URL link
- www.searchmysuburb.com.au Free listing does not include URL link
- www.blacknwhite.org Seems to offer a free listing but I couldn’t work out how to sign up!
- www.oceanpages.com.au Went through the registration process before finding out I had to pay, but an amount did not automatically come up. Also, had to add a date of birth in order to register which I felt was a little odd.
- www.websights.net.au Paid options only, small business focussed
- www.clickfind.com.au Paid options only
- www.communityguide.com.au Couldn’t work out how to add a new business without requesting someone to contact me
- www.web-directory-australia.info Paid listings only.
If you’re aware of other web directories that should be added to this list, or would like to suggest updates for the information included in this web directories list, please leave a comment below.
We recommend Search Frog, which includes integrated Google review ratings.